Bespoke stretches and advice are part of the service we offer to our patients at Creative Chiropractic and stretching is a great way to compliment the treatments we provide at the Practice as well as additional benefits, including:
- Helps improve range of motion by lengthening tight muscles and increasing blood and nutrient supply to them.
- Calm the mind, allowing your emotions and body to recharge.
The best time to stretch is after activity or exercise as your muscles are warmer and will lengthen easier.
These short and snappy videos are designed to help you do these simple but effective stretches correctly…
Stretch #8 Piriformis
This stretch targets the piriformis muscle which is located deep in the buttock behind the gluteus maximus. It can help to relieve pain caused by sciatica and improve movement in the lower back and hips.
Our Massage Therapist, Jess, performing a fantastic stretch… The body achieves what the mind believes!
How to do it:
- Come on to all fours with your hands shoulder distance apart.
- Bring left knee forward with shin on a diagonal and heel pointing towards the opposite side.
- Straighten right leg and tuck toes under keeping hips square.
- Hold position for 20 seconds and repeat on the other side.
This stretch should be completed daily.
Attention: This stretch should not be done if you have lower back pain or if you have had a hip/ knee replacement.
Stretching shouldn’t cause undue pain, shortness of breath or dizziness. Please seek advice from your GP if you have any concerns before undertaking these stretches.